MAXIMIZING FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Experts say most buyers make their decision at first sight. Prospective buyers will react well to signs that your home has been meticulously maintained.
- Manicure landscaping: mow, edge and water lawn, trim hedges, weed and fertilize flowerbeds.
- Keep driveway clean and free of parked cars, and keep the garage door closed. Repair or replace loose or damaged roof shingles.
- Minimize cracks or crumbling on walkways, walls, or steps.
- Make sure that from the street your property appears clear.
- Inspect appearance of interior window coverings from the curb.
- Repair any peeling paint or loose caulking on windows or other areas.
- Take steps to eliminate insect or rodent pests.
- Pick up after your pets or neighborhood animals.
While Agents work the lockbox for a key, buyers have idle time to notice details.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint to the front door and frame.
- Consider adding pots of flowering plants in the entryway if weather permits.
- Eliminate cobwebs and groom doorway area windows, porch light, or decorative glass.
InteriorOnce inside, experts say most buyers are reaffirming their curbside decision. Clean, Clear, Light and Bright
- Give every room in the house a thorough cleaning and remove all clutter. Hiring a cleaning service may pay for itself by adding to a buyerâs perceived value of your home.
- For a sleeker, more spacious look, consult with your Agent for tips on property staging.
- Ask Yourself: In a model home, would a professional decorator put your choice of items out.
- Remember: closets will be opened! Keep closets, cupboards, and even your attic orderly and neat. Since you are anticipating a move anyway, consider holding a garage sale or boxing and storing unused belongings.
- If necessary, repaint or clean/replace dingy, soiled or strongly-colored walls, a window and floor coverings with a light, neutral shade. Bright rooms look bigger, and neutral colors help buyers envision their own furnishings and dÃ©cor.
- Repair dripping faucets, burned-out light bulbs, or cracked windowpanes. Repair cracks, holes or damage to plaster, wallboard, wallpaper and tiles.
- Fresh baked cookies or cinnamon in the kitchen can make your home more inviting.
- Keep an attractive set of towels in each bathroom to be brought out only for showings.